Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Dulce de Leche Cheesecake Follow Up

There were a lot of questions about the dulce de leche--what kind, how much, can I make it myself? Here's the comment I posted in the comments:

OK so to address everyone who is asking about dulce de leche--I buy it in the "latin foods" section of the grocery store. And that's in my local Super Wal Mart. If you're buying it by the can, I think it's a 14 oz can. Also, you can buy it on Amazon in a 6 or 8 pack.

Now, if you simply can't find it and don't want to order it, you can make it yourself. Take 1 can of sweetened condendensed milk (the 14 oz size), pop a couple of holes in it with a churchkey (the pointy single-hole style can opener) and put it in a water bath with the water almost to the top of the can. Bring the water to a simmer and keep it there for about four hours. You'll have to watch it and top up the water as it boils away. The longer you let it cook (and you can't really overcook it) the more caramely and rich it will be.

The salt in all three parts is kosher salt. DON'T USE TABLE SALT.

I don't use a water bath when cooking the cheesecake--just goes right in the oven. :)

Here's a link to Amazon--this is the brand of dulce de leche that my grocery store carries.

http://www.amazon.com/Lechera-Dulce-Leche-13-4-Ounce-Container/dp/B001EPPBMW/ref=sr_1_1?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1321991192&sr=1-1
I hope everyone enjoys this!!

If you have any other questions, leave them in the comments either on the original post, or on this one, and I'll be better about checking, I promise!

No comments: